What is the norm that makes a learning space inclusive, whether it’s a lecture hall or laboratory section? The better question: How do I design my learning spaces to support as many students as possible? I like to use a pedagogy of kindness where I see students as individuals. I feel that this is important to foster a successful student-instructor relationship. I am trying to use compassion in every situation I can.

When I enter the classroom, who do I want to be?

–caring, connecting and supporting students

–inspiring and motivating students about subject matter

–engaging and putting students first by using active-learning approaches so they learn how to think

— and inclusive (UDL)

–reflective of my own teaching by getting feedback

I use various strategies to create a certain level of connectedness in my lecture classes and in laboratory settings. I want students to feel welcome and safe in a space where they ALL feel comfortable to ask and answer questions.

Students would like the following:

1. profs to know their names
  2. peers to know their names
  3. that they belong at the university
  4. that they are represented by their field

I use the following strategies to get to know my students:

1. Learn my students' names. I take roll call and making a seating plan (for smaller cohorts and labs)
  2. Online discussion forums. I use introductory discussion forums called ‘getting to know you’ where student’s can tell us anything about themselves. I use these throughout the semester where students can post content or any other questions. I respond to these regularly to maintain instructor presence and promote a student-instructor connection.
  3. Introduction card assignment. The card has their name/preferred name/pronoun and their career goal; interest in the course; course goals. This card is revisited after the next assessment and at the end of the course. It serves as a self-reflection allowing students to take control of their learning goals.
  4. Jam board exercises. I create group links to provide a safe space to work on concepts with peers. This provides a safe space for introverts and anyone to participate.